Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Life on the hook ain't fun

I have been at anchor for almost a month now, longer if I count the weeks in Vinoy Basin. I am really sick of being in the same place, Gulfport FL is a great little town with one major drawback, karaoke seven nights a week. Sound carries extremely well over water and even though I am about 150 yards off the shore where the loud bar is I can hear everything, and the bar has the "over-amplified is better" attitude. I hate karaoke.

I really want to be underway, but with storm season coming and my dis-trust of my mast and standing rigging it may be best that I stay where I am for a few more weeks. I need to re-rig but finding a place to do so is not easy, it makes it even harder when I don't get paid for the work I do, when the things cost so much (2 peaches and a pear for $3!) and when things on Waltzing Matilda are wearing out faster than I can keep up. In just 7 months time I have rusted completely through a piece of 3mm galvanized cable.

My stress level has been extremely high for the last three days, between the power boats and jet skis, the morons getting dragged around behind gasoline fume belching sport boats and karaoke singing idiots, I understand why Einstein built that bomb. Some loud drunk chicks caterwauled until 02:00 this morning, when they finally shut up and the bar shut down I couldn't sleep. I stayed up and read until 05:00 then napped for 2 hours till the sun came up and the heat began to rise.

I need to be underway, I need to be in a less populated location.

BTW Geek Love is a great book

1 comment:

  1. Hi Capt., Hope you get out of there soon. As you head south, there is a nice anchorage behind Moore's Stone Crab restaurant at the south end of Longboat Key. One thing... after you pass under the bridge at the pass, turn hard right and hug the bridge to avoid a sand shoal that is there. There used to be a big wooden Sheepshead fish on a pole you would point your bow towards. Check Google earth and you will see what I mean. Safe travels.

    Scott (Houseboat guy)

    ReplyDelete