Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Free fuel from BP

Sure am glad I got to see the bayous and keys before the great oiling of '010.

I've been working in the hold of an old '84 powerboat, big stinky GM 671 power plant, monstrous twin 200 gallon fuel tanks, stinky silge in the mucky bilge. The owner is going on vacation a missionary trip "some place tropical" and the old trawler is to be his base of operations and home during said "missionary trip". The vessel may be capable of living comfortably but traversing 1,000Ktm is a bit of a stretch. I hate power boats.

But free fuel is coming, (brought to you by BP).

I went to the biggest flea market I have ever seen and got some good tools. Most of the vendors there were selling crap henco en China but the guy with the white tarps had real tools, lots of old tools and bona-fide hard files. I picked up a used hoof rasp since I learned what a great tool it is for rough working wood and fiberglass. Waltzing Matilda looks great with white tarps instead of the ugly blue ones, and she's cooler too.

Almost done with the rudder, the final fiberglass coat set up overnight and will be getting a good sanding today. I am going to epoxy fiberglass rods into the wood where the new lags will hold the mounting hardware, that way the wood is completely sealed with 'glass.

100% organic, whole oil is coming soon, free for the collecting (brought to you by BP), rumor has it that a couple of tar balls have washed up in Key West, but it might be resin from somebody's pipe, can't tell till the lab results come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment