Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Arkansas invades the Big Sleezy

Ahoy from New Orleans, better known this week as South Little Rock, I think half the state of Arkansas is here. After a few weeks in the Ozarks I am en-route back to Waltzing Matilda and temporarily delayed in New Orleans due to a football game. I like NO, despite all the bad press this town has gotten it is a really unique area with a wonderful culture and great people. Last time I was here was spent bicycling about and looking at the sights, this time I have no bike and I'm more interested in watching the people. I really wanted to get a pass and spend the day riding the electric trollies but little dogs aren't welcome on public transportation.

I spent most of the day hanging around the waterfront watching the barges navigate the hairpin turn in the heart of the city and enjoying the sound of the steam whistle aboard the Natchez. The Mississippi River is extremely low and there are sand bars exposed near the park, even with the water so low I can see the current moving. The current is deceiving when one is looking out over the water, it seems to be moving slowly, but the speed in which the vessels move downstream is a good indication of how mighty the river really is. After being spoiled by the clear water in the keys the Mississippi looks like viscous mud.

It's funny the way people in NO drive, in NYC or Chicago the instant a light turns green horns begin to blare and tires begin to squeal, here life has a little bit different pace. When the light turns green the driver finishes the text message they were sending, puts their cocktail back in the cup holder, waves a jay walking pedestrian across then leisurely motors on a few yards only to stop in the middle of the lane in order to chat with a person on the sidewalk.

Bourbon St. is touristy crap selling the same Chinese trash as Duval St. in Key West, I felt sorry for the tourists lined up to get in the Hard Rock cafe, surrounded by culture they retreat to the homogenized lest they step too far out of their comfort zone.

Heading back to the keys tomorrow, I miss Waltzing Matilda, this is the longest I have been away from her in a year and have worried a good deal about her, I will feel a lot better when I see her again. It was good to visit Fayetteville, nice to see old friends and meet some new ones, really good to see my family.

Post Script: I'm back in the Keys, Waltzing Matilda was waiting for me with about 3" of water in the bilge and the batteries at 12.5VDC, she fired up on the first rotation of the motor and blew a bit of brown water out the exhaust but is none worse for the wear. She doesn't seem to mind the temporary abandonment, unlike a certain little dog that I cannot leave alone for 5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about missing Waltzing Matilda, It is driving me nuts to be away from Morgan, but we have a couple more weeks before we can go back.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete