Monday, September 5, 2011

The end of a chapter

EDIT: there is one more chapter coming, moving Waltzing Matilda to her new home, look for and adventure coming in November.

After almost two years vagabonding in a day sailer I've taken a great job in New Iberia Louisiana, I am writing this as my final dispatch in the tales of Waltzing Matilda. I set out with many goals when I sailed from Ft Smith, AR, I've achieved most of those except for making the Great Loop, not every goal has to be met on the first voyage, I still had a great adventure. I have taken Waltzing Matilda far beyond what she was designed to do and learned a huge amount about myself, about the sea, about weather and about people.

I couldn't sail Waltzing Matilda to her new home, neither she nor I were prepared for a 700 mile open water voyage. I had to leave her behind at a safe dock until I can ship her to my new location. It will be close enough to the gulf for me to get out for an occasional day sail and the marina's are much cheaper here than in the Keys. Waltzing Matilda needs to be hauled out and have her hull repainted, lots of other things too, I need a break and a larger boat, I met some wonderful people in Louisiana and have wanted to live here since I first traveled through.

So I am shore based, the noise of cars driving by wakes me up at night, the kids all like the bumping bass stereos and the resonates the floor of the little house I am in, I don't care for the street lights. Last night a friend took me to a zydeco dance out on the Atchafalaya basin, neat little bar in the middle of nowhere with muddy pick-up trucks all around. I saw several houseboats moored there and that was enough to cement my decision to build a house boat. I have to be on the water and in this area houseboat makes sense, plus it will get me away from the BOOM BOOM BOOOOOOOMM BABBA BOOM of these kids cars.

You kids, get off my lawn!

Thanks to all of you, my dear readers, for your comments and support on this grand voyage, please take a moment to make a comment on this post.

Edit: thank you for the kudos, especially the anon visitors, I had no idea so many followed. I've just re-read the posts and am amazed at the change in my writing, to sum it up.... condense, it makes a better read. view all the photos

12 comments:

  1. Cap'n Nate & Mattie Magoo....
    I certainly wish you all the best in your new endeavors. I've enjoyed the blog and your adventures and wish so many times I had the guts to do something like you did. I'm a wimp, and old wimp....but then again, look where I live ! If your ever over here in good old Colorado, Call I guarantee we'll have a feast and maybe we can invent a new way of passing the time of day here in Pueblo by the Reeever ! Take care of yourself and enjoy the land for awhile.....and put up a pic every now and again, so I can see that wonderful Razorback Flag !

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan, I'm a friend of your Dad's from Oak Park and he has been forwarding your blogs from the beginning. Some of the time I had to hold my breath while reading your adventures, but you always made it through. Thanks so much for sharing your past two years with us. I will miss hearing from you but I'm so glad that you're safe and happy. Congratulations - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new job, Nate! We'll pick up this blog again in a year or so when you've saved enough money for a big boy version of Matilda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....2 years of an awesome adventure that we all could be a part of with your blog. I never missed a blog and I look forward to hearing about this next chapter in your life. Thanks for sharing! Love, Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a grand and ambitious adventure, Nate. One, that I suspect, you will remember fondly in years to come. Now that the sea is in your blood, you'll find it hard to be a landlubber again. Take this time to recharge your batteries in preparation for your next big expedition. Good luck,
    Dan in Ocean Springs, MS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog.. I just found it a few weeks ago and read the whole thing. Now I come looking for an update and it's over! DOH! :)
    Congrats on a successful journey, and thanks for sharing it.

    A fellow boat bum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nate, I've been anonymously following your adventures for over a year. Thanks for all the great and personal insights. Best wishes in your future endeavors.
    From Seabrook, TX.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nate, your grand adventure has been a vicarious thrill for way more people than you'll ever know.
    Please say it ain't over; just a pause between chapters
    Thanks for sharing.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nate:

    I had the pleasure of meeting you and Mattie in Anna Maria Island. I was really looking forward to you heading back to Central Florida so I could see you both again. I will miss your updates on the adventure! Keep us all posted on the next chapter.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nate, Steve and I are happy to hear you are well. Hoping Mattie is as well. You can follow us on Caringbrige.com/visit/stevebriggs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Nate. Greetings from Fort Smith. I only today found your blog. Fun reading. Good luck in your new adventures. My husband and I have plans to set sail ourselves someday. Maybe we will run into each other out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came upon your blog... a mutual friend I believe - Ray in Eureka Springs(?) - mentioned it to me.I have only read the first couple posts and look forward to reading more.

    Good luck!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete