Friday, September 10, 2010

Updated From Boca Ciega Bay

It's been a while since I have written and I apologize for that, there hasn't been much going on so I haven't had much to say. I should correct that statement, there has been plenty of stuff going on, just none of it traveling via Waltzing Matilda so I haven't felt it worthy of posting in the travel blog.

I will touch on some of the highlights of interesting things that have occurred. I got blown ashore in a storm, again, no Coast Guard this time. There was a stiff SW wind blowing for three days and I was up early when the 3/4” anchor rode was sawed through by what ever nasty piece of junk it wrapped around. I was alerted to the issue when my kayak began banging against the side of the boat and I realized I was drifting sideways into some mangroves. I bumped the ground softly once and was able to get an anchor out and stop the drifting, I fired the motor and backed off of the shoal narrowly missing a crab trap with my prop. (I hate crab traps!)

The next day I took a small grappling hook to the approximate area that my anchor was set and fished around looking for it, the visibility in the bay was down to 1” and the amount of garbage, old 55 gallon drums, sharp chunks of iron and other things that would rip my hands open as I felt around dissuaded me from any more exploration and I gave the anchor up for lost. Thats three anchors I have lost since I left Arkansas, at a rate of one every three months this journey is getting expensive.

I did get a new anchor on trade, a #20 plow, haven't gotten any chain for it yet, plus I'll need shackles, a thimble and a swivel. Chain or solar panels.... hard choice to make.

Hurricane season is almost over, I've been working a bit, trying to get enough money to score some solar panels from harbor Freight tools, I was at the closest store (an 18 mile bike ride north) and the solar panel kit I want was on sale for $150, I had $100.... dang it. 'll bet by the time I get back up there with enough money they will be back at their regular price.

If only I didn't have to do laundry or eat, I'd have so much more gear!

Key West for Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment