Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Still in Louisiana

I am still anchored in the bayou Teche near New Iberia LA, (N29°58.790' W091°45.260')having a lovely time and hosted by wonderful people. Still trying to get the boatswain to stop growling at the host!
A couple of friends were concerned about my sailing into the sunset with only a compass so we all went in 1/3rds and bought a nice little hand held GPS unit. It comes loaded with plenty of maps, road maps. I have to figure out how to get the intracoastal canal on it, and the names of all the bays, bayous and lakes that are connected without spending a whole bundle of money on the software. I was also given a decent used laptop that was running a corrupt version of Vindoze that quickly sucked the battery dry. Now it has a nice light version of Debian on it so I will be able to hit coffee shops when I come to shore.

Holed up due to a massive cold front headed this way, then off to the sea for me. I have enjoyed this break immensely but I am getting restless and ready to be sailing again.

1 comment:

  1. Nathan, I have read the story in the Daily Iberian about you and your travels, I am jealous. Just wanted to say if you are in need of a place to stay around Fort Walton Beach I have a contact there who may be able to at least get you a hot shower and a meal. Not sure how this blog works but please reply here.

    ReplyDelete